More Game Maker. Added a full, albeit rough, motion/direction system to the horror game. 28 separately animated sprites penciled in.
Also added a save system, coded from scratch. *Spectacularly* poor effort to reward ratio. It obviously needs to exist but hard to point at and say ‘look what I made’.
Elsewhere spent some time reworking the shooter thing from scratch but that’s mainly along the lines of ‘starting from scratch’ - so much messy code from simply learning what to do I decided it was more prudent to start over than work around all the mistakes.
Horror game lighting engine’s more or less sorted bar a couple of depth issues (the yellow faces are still ‘above’ the shadows but that’s just a couple of wrong numbers not a code issue). Otherwise, lights flicker, shadows are cast and the inventory system works. There’s also a save system opening ini files and writing changes although you can’t see that bit.
Well hello procedurally generated settlements with a 1 in 5 chance of being sick (the little red guys). Each time the game starts it positions the bases, populates them and decides if each little man is healthy or not. Trying to get to grips better with both arrays and for loops. Next up food consumption and production - healthy people make it, sick people don’t and consume more.
Game Maker update: Finally managed to add fresh stuff to the vaguely titled ‘Shooter Thing’ after a bug that took ages to fix. Once that was sorted I was able to add loads of new mechanics. Not far off getting to a point where the gameplay is starting to come together.
Game Maker thing now has guards moving around and reacting. Things to look out for:
1. The guard patrols but pauses at each end of the route (this wait can be moved to a specific thing he’s actually guarding later).
2. Stops to watch player doing something bad (holding a gun is the only option at this point).
3. Goes into alert if he discovers something bad like a body, but won’t attack the player if he hasn’t seen him do anything.
4. Attacks the player (badly) the instant he’s seen doing something bad.
The thing I’m most pleased with is the guard’s code is less than that of the NPC, despite being slightly more complex behavior. I also changed the debug collision box you can see on the NPC to a line on the guard. Seeing as it’s only 2D ‘in front / not in front’ is the only thing to check so there’s no point in checking all that space.